Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Embracing Hunger

I like this quote:

 

"Every hunger should be met with curiosity and welcome, there’s wisdom there, even if we have to peel back a few layers to get to what’s underneath." - Rachel Cole


In many eating disorder communities and in the world at large, hunger is conveyed as such a dirty word. In American culture, it recalls the concept of control and fear of losing control. Often for individuals struggling with an eating disorder, it feels threatening. Sometimes it feels threatening because it reminds us that we have needs; accepting needs is often difficult for people who struggle with eating disorders. I remember when the concept of needs felt threatening and frightening for me to discuss. The concept of hunger haunted me. As I reflect, I am aware that this is an incredibly sad experience for anyone in the eating disorder community (or any person at all) because they do not accept hunger for what it is: it is a biological and poetic loveliness that reminds us of our vulnerability. How would you define hunger? What do you think of vulnerability? Hunger recalls our interconnectedness. It reminds us that we have a symbiotic nourishing relationship with one another and with the natural world. We feed each other in a multitude of ways. Ducks and squirrels are not ashamed of their hunger. Flowers and trees are not ashamed of needing sun and water; food. As far as we know, dolphins are not ashamed of pleasure. Why are humans ashamed of a burger? Why do humans say, “well, I’ve been good this week” or “well, I’m on vacation”….”so I’ll treat myself to such and such food item.” Or, "I never go back for seconds," or "I only eat this or that or the other thing." What do goodness or vacation have to do with feeding yourself something you have an appetite to eat? If you are honest with yourself, if eating whole foods makes you feel like a more whole person, then what are you really needing? Why announce your food choices? Do we ever spend time asking ourselves why we make these seemingly innocuous statements and decisions? What is their function?

2 comments:

  1. This is profoundly beautiful, and thought provoking. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for patiently showing me a burger is just a burger...no matter how messy :-)

    ReplyDelete